Friday, September 13, 2024

A Time to be Disturbed

Bible Reading: II Kings 20:1-11


Key Verse: Verse 1 – “In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live.”


Key Words: Set thine house in order for thou shalt die



I can remember it like it was yesterday: having my mother crying out every ounce of energy she could muster, “M-i-c-h-a-e-l, get back here right now.” It seems though Mom didn’t appreciate the fact that I had made our bathtub home to a dozen or so tadpoles.  To say the least, she was upset, and rightly so. She explained to me in language that could be clearly understood that tadpoles were not to be a part of the Rouse family, and that I was to “never pull that little stunt again.” She was disturbed!!


But you know, there really is nothing wrong with being disturbed.  In Acts 16 after Paul and Silas prayed and sang and had an old-fashioned prayer meeting in the Philippian jail, the earth began to shake, and the prison cells all shook open.  Darkness prevailed in that dungeon called a prison and the guard on duty that night was disturbed.  You see, he thought for sure all the prisoners had fled; and as a result, he would be tortured and executed so he decided to take his own life until Paul interceded.  God disturbed this man and as a result, he and his family were born again.


King Hezekiah was told that he was going to die in II Kings, chapter 20. This disturbed the great king. He was so disturbed that he prayed. Evidently, he prayed hard enough and righteously enough to get God’s attention, and God gave him fifteen more years of life. Being disturbed caused the great king to humble himself and pray.


Now none of us like to be disturbed; but the truth is that we will never be motivated to action until God uses something or someone to disturb us.


One night the phone rang- actually, it was early morning, about 1:00 A.M. or so. Now, when the phone rings at this hour a hundred things begin to run through my mind; are my children or grandchildren alright? What about my church family? Has something happened to one of the buildings? Yes, I admit it. I am was disturbed. When Linda answered and I heard her say, “You’ve got the wrong number.” I breathed a sigh of relief; and then at 1:00 A.M. in the morning, I began to thank God for my kids and grandkids, my church family, and for God’s safety and blessings - all because God used an early morning phone call to disturb me.

 

                                                                                                    Dr. Mike Rouse

What to do:  

Be disturbed over sin and remember, being disturbed isn’t always a bad thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed