Saturday, October 5, 2024

My Response

Bible Reading:  Ephesians 4:25-32

Key Verse: Verse 25 – “Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.”

Key Words: putting away lying


When we think of specific sins any number of things can come to mind.  Why, there is adultery, fornication, covetousness, stealing, cheating, laziness, worry, gluttony, profanity, idolatry, rebellion.  The list goes on and on, but to me the most despicable of all sins is lying.  The reason that I believe that lying is so despicable is that of all sins committed against me, lying is the only one which will not bring me sympathy or prayers, but reproach.  If I commit adultery, fornication, covetousness,  if I steal, if I am lazy, if I worry, if I commit gluttony, profanity, idolatry, or even if I rebel, I deserve reproach–I bring that on myself.  Now if someone cheats me, curses me, or steals from me, that usually will bring sympathy from others, but now when someone lies about me, that is usually a different story.  When someone lies about you, you are basically defenseless to defend yourself because for some strange, perverted reason, the vast majority of people believe the lies they hear.  For example, Jesus was lied about and the masses believed the lies and cried out, “Crucify Him!”  Naboth was lied about and, again, the lies were believed.  Paul was lied about and even called a pestilent fellow in Acts 24:5.


So what are we to do when people lie about us?  Let me suggest four things. #1 - Take the high road.  Don’t respond in kind.  Two wrongs never equal a right. #2 - Pray for those who are both spreading the lies and for those who are believing them (Matthew 5:11, Luke 6:22, I Peter 4:14). #3 - Rely on your testimony.  The greatest of all testimonies is when the lies people are telling about you are unbelievable because of your testimony and integrity. #4 - Always remember there will always be those who believe every lie they hear, don’t focus on the liar or those who believe the lie.  Keep your eyes on Jesus.


In life if someone for some reason chooses to lie about you, remember you have no control over them, but you can control...1) your response, 2) your attitude, 3) your testimony.


Now, go out and do right and live for God, and God will take care of all the details of life in the sweet by and by.


                                                                                    Dr. Mike Rouse 

What to do:

Apply the four principles found in this devotion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed