Monday, August 26, 2024

The Purpose of Gifts

Bible Reading: I Corinthians 14:1-12

Key Verse: Verse 12 - “Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.”

Key Words: to the edifying of the church

The purpose behind any of the gifts of the Spirit is to edify the church.  I know you do not need to be reminded that the church is not a building but the people.  We build up the people by using our spiritual gifts.


A Builder Or A Wrecker?


I watched them tearing a building down,
A gang of men in a busy town.
With a ho-heave-ho and lusty yell,
They swung a beam and a sidewall fell.
I asked the foreman, "Are these men skilled,
As the men you'd hire if you had to build?"
He gave me a laugh and said, "No indeed!
Just common labor is all I need.
I can easily wreck in a day or two
What builders have taken a year to do."
And I tho't to myself as I went my way,
Which of these two roles have I tried to play?
Am I a builder who works with care,
Measuring life by the rule and square?
Am I shaping my deeds by a well-made plan,
Patiently doing the best I can?
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town,
Content with the labor of tearing down?
"O, Lord, let my life and my labors be

That which will build for eternity!"

 


                                                                Dr. Mike Rouse


What to do: 

Use your gift(s) to edify the church.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed